> o.c.p:p-u 4.x that depends on
> -> o.c.p:p-xml 4 that depends on
notice this dependency is *optional*
it's useful only for ReaderFactory/WriterFactory, for XmlReader/Writer
fully removing the dependency would have broken full compatibility by removing
a few methods: it was preferred to mark the dependency as optional and keep
full compatibility

then I would not say that p-u 4 pulls new Maven 4 API

> -> o.c.p:p-xml 4 that depends on
> -> o.a.m:m-api-xml that depends on
> -> o.a.m:m-api-meta
to me, here is where an improvement would be useful
m-api-meta and m-api-xml are small very stable APIs, very non-Maven core
specific
I understand that we want to put them at Apache instead of Plexus, and I
agree.
But I think we should make their release cycle independent from Maven core:
they do not deserve the current 7 alphas, then new releases in the future
years.

see https://maven.apache.org/ref/4.0.0-alpha-7/api/index.html for an overview
of all Maven 4 API artifacts:
- Model, Settings, Toolchains and Core are clearly here at their right place
- XML (1 interface: XmlNode) and meta annotation (6 annotations) are not so
much Maven core related, and stable enough

IMHO, XML and meta annotation should fo to Maven Shared Components
https://maven.apache.org/shared/index.html
Better place, and better release cycle

then depending on these from outside would not be problematic

Regards,

Hervé