> since anything downloaded comes over https and is already signature
> checked

Transport security is something completely different and does not ensure you get the "right" artifact just that is was not tampered in between.

> How does this signature check prevent someone from doing something bad?

I think the best thing (even though not relasitic probably) would be to ask the user if they trust a key (e.g. one from apache one from eclipse, one from ...) that is the used to trust "project keys".

That way you can't accidentally pull in things via a dependency chain, and even if you are using a mirror (e.g. nexus) you can always trace back to the originator.