Hey all,

In a mockito issue, JDK maintainers suggested to differentiate between
agents and normal dependencies. Starting with JDK 21 already, this makes a
lot of sense: dynamic loading of agents will be a no-go.

One suggestion was:

<dependencies>
        <dependency>
        </dependency>
    <agents>
        <dependency>
        </dependency>
    </agents>
</dependencies>

Not sure if this is the best way, but this is something similar might be
needed.
Currently, the only way to handle agents is to add them manually to the
surefire argLine. To make things worse, a deoendency goal is needed until
Romains PR is merged:
https://github.com/apache/maven/pull/1281

Another issue is that a parent pom might not be able to easily define this
option. There were some concerns that part of the configuration needed to
be repeated in every module.

So, I wrote Maven 5.
Maven 4 is the stepping stone to the build/consumer pom. But this is an
extension. Not really a breaking change in terms of parsing, but in terms
of building a project. Thus, it should go onto the roadmap.

... unless you want to keep the current status quo, which is also an
option. But before making an argument here, I'd recommend reading the
lengthy (sorry!) discussion on the mockito issue tracker. Since Karl Heinz
started the issue, I'd love to hear back from you, too. Link:
https://github.com/mockito/mockito/issues/3037

If no discussion is needed at this point, let's keep this as a reminder for
the next Apero and/or Maven 5 then.

- Ben