Romain,

You can look at this change (which I did, for plugin testing) just like
resolver-1.9.x branch: a "stable" release of testing for 3.x plugins is
very desperately needed.
Same thing for maven-plugin-plugin. So yes, this is kinda the b) option: a
Maven4 plugin cannot be built (m-p-p or tested m-p-t) with Maven3 tools and
Maven3.

As for doing this for plugins (all of them) is open for debate.