From: Vincent Siveton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 7:49 AM
To: Maven Developers List
Subject: Re: Debugging maven with breakpoints feed-back: --jdwp + docs

Geoffrey,

I like it! I prefer more --jdpa rather than --jpwd (Think about geronimo
or tomcat)

What do others think?

Vincent

2006/2/22, Geoffrey De Smet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
I just used my first debug breakpoint in maven 2 to fix the jasperreports plugin:

export MAVEN_OPTS="-Xdebug -Xnoagent -Djava.compiler=NONE -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=y,address=8000"

mvn <phase-on-my-project>

Still, this is a bit unhandy and it took me quite a while to find out.
So here's my 2 cents feed-back:

1) Some sort of mvn --jdwp (mvn --debug is already taken for debug
logging).
If it's already there, please document in "mvn --help".

2) Document how to do this with a short APT, for example in http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-m2-development.html
like so (APT):

Debugging with breakpoints

    You can attach a remote debugger of your IDE to the maven process.
    This will allow you to set breakpoints (line, exception, ...).

    Start maven in debugger mode on port 8000:

+--
mvn --jdwp
+--

    If you want to change any of the debugger settings,
    use MAVEN_OPTS instead.

    Then connect to it with a remote debugger in your IDE.

--
With kind regards,
Geoffrey De Smet

With kind regards,