Jason van Zyl wrote:
Yah, I don't buy it. I don't know anyone who uses RPMs to do anything with Java.

Actually, if you'll recall our conversations at ApacheCon I mentioned something like that. RPMs make no sense because the ClassLoader can't use them. They also make no sense because the same information should be inside the jar (i.e. a jar and an RPM would essentially be equivalent but use different packaging schemes). However, this is all moot because standard java classloaders don't understand versioning. If they did we wouldn't be having this conversation because, assuming the jar had all the relevant information, it would make no sense to create an RPM as the base OS (i.e. Linux) would have no business managing the contents of a JVM since the JVM is essentially a different OS.

I suppose RPMs make sense in the isolated case of the OS actually wanting to start some pre-packaged Java applications automatically. I'm having a hard time how they'd be useful in most other circumstances though.

I guess I'd really like to understand how Fedora actually uses Java RPMs in a way that actually works.

Ralph