With the following proviso:

I'd like to see main Maven releases more often, and have those main releases specify a suite of endorsed plugin versions for that Maven release. That way, if I want a stable reproducible build, I just continue to use the version of Maven that I built with. It will keep using the same versions of all the endorsed plugins unless I override them.

If I want to bump a specific plugin, I just provide a version for that in my pom.

If I want to bump them all, I just down load the latest Maven release and try building.

-Stephen.

Brett Porter wrote:
I'd like to hear from as many people as possible their opinion this topic (even if you just want to say '0' so we know where you stand).

[ ] (A) All plugin versions must be specified by the project or its parent hierarchy somewhere, at the cost of some verbosity (though we should look at ways to make this easier/smaller/etc per the current discussion) [ ] (B) Retain the current behaviour, but make using the enforcer a best practice to do the above, or some other control mechanism such as having the repository manager handle the available plugins
[ ] (C) No opinion
[ ] (D) Undecided
[ ] (E) Other (please specify)

Thanks,