work done:
- r585265 for trunk
- r585268 for 2.0.x branch

I didn't add the integration-test attached to MNG-2254: Brian, if you can take
a look at it, please.

More explanations about these encoding fixes can be found at
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/XML+encoding in the "Technical
Notes" section.

There is one summary that every Maven developer should know: when reading an
XML file, don't write "new FileReader(File)" which will use platform encoding
but "ReaderFactory.newXmlReader(File)" which will detect the encoding of the
XML file (UTF-8 by default, or the encoding specified at the beginning of the
XML stream)

Hervé