I said intended, because from memory I wasn't sure if it was still commented out :)

The problem with the use of this POM for release:perform is that it will be deployed into the repository - and that's not what you want. You then get the resolved dependencies instead of the declared ones, which causes anything that uses it as a dependency to have a more restrictive situation. It really needs the adjustments to the artifact system, and the POM, that let you separate the declaration from the resolved graph to be useful.

Cheers,
Brett