simply discuss the ramifications of defaulting the core plugin versions in
the super pom in 2.0 only.

+1, might also spare users from learning yet another concept like
"plugin-packs". If the super POM locks down all plugins that would be
injected by one of the various lifecycle mappings and the user himself locks
down any additional plugins he explicitly configured in the POM, why bother
with something like "plugin-packs".

Besides, I do not see much value in an attempt to pack/group plugins given
the fact that each plugin has its own release cycle, i.e. there are more
version combinations of plugins from which I want to choose than you want to
provide plugin packs for.

Last but least and please don't take this as an offense but if you are
honest you have to confess that implementation of inheritance is
buggy/complex enough. As a user interested in a stable build tool, I really
dislike the idea of another concept that interferes with plugin resolution.

Those who have followed best practice and locked their versions
down will not be affected by this at all.

The reality looks different: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3394
As a prerequisite for the proposed additions to the super POM, this issue
should be fixed.

Regards,

Benjamin Bentmann