For example, we'd can group groupId/artifactId/version into one attribute
like this:

<dependency artifact="org.apache.maven:maven-project:2.0.8" [...] />

Please don't do this. This would require another parsing step after the XML
parsing and introduces further error sources. Use XML to structure the data,
not some proprietary format. Third-party tools dealing with the POM will
also appreciate a proper/pure XML representation of the project model.
Consider for instance the pain such string aggregates would cause for XSLT
processing of the POM. Merging different pieces of data into a single string
is in general a bad idea.

Besides, this thread is about improving user experience with the POM. Now,
if one needs to declare a dependency with groupId, artifactId, version,
classifier, type and scope can you remember the proper order for all those
elements when putting them into a single string? As for me, the answer is
"No".

Regards,

Benjamin Bentmann