From a commercial perspective... in an interview when I ask 'do you understand
maven?' I want the prospective consultant/employee to say 'yes' and I want to
know that that means they can grok poms... if you allow custom formats you
just don't get that and we end up going the way of ant...

big thumbs up for views like dependency:tree etc that make the pom human
readable... which i think is most of the problem...

--
Michael McCallum
Enterprise Engineer