>The larger question is with regards to trunk. It was requested that
><scope>import</scope> not be used there and that importing just be the
>defined behavior of specifying a pom in a dependencyManagement section.

I think the import scope should _NOT_ be assumed for pom projects. Pom
projects serve a third purpose in Maven (besides aggregation and
inheritance). They are really the "generic" module that is used because
there are essentially no bindings to the lifecycle by default. Think
about it, every time you want a separate assembly module, what packaging
do you start with? Pom. Same for any other not-out-of-the-box case like
running Its or ant etc. I think it's making too many assumptions and
*magic* if we just assume import, it's much better to just make it
explicit. (Not to mention the mess this would make for people that
upgrade later)

>It also isn't at all clear to me why
>the child pom even declares that it inherits from its parent.

This is going to be the norm in a multimodule structure. It's rare that
you have a module in a big tree that doesn't inherit up.

I'm going to go ahead and stage 2.0.9, but we'll need good site guides
and release notes (and ITS) for this feature so we don't have a bunch of
people diving over the cliff.

--Brian