AFAIK, the problem doesn't show for japanese nor chinese developers: even in
Japan or China, platform encoding on Unix or Windows is ASCII based,
precisely to avoid problems on "simple" ascii characters

like Benjamin says, the encoding issue is more subtle

There is one situation I know for this encoding issue, where a developer
cannot use Maven: it is Z/OS, where platform encoding is EBCDIC which is not
ASCII based. MANTTASKS-14 is a report of such a problem.

But as there is not much Java developers on Z/OS, there are few reports and
few testers for improvements: hence the good idea from Benjamin to force
UTF-16 on CI machines.

BTW, if anybody has a Z/OS box, I'll be glad to have some testers on
MANTTASKS-14 :)

regards

Hervé