Sounds like a good idea to me.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis Lundberg [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2008 6:51 PM
To: Maven Developers List
Subject: [DISCUSS] The documentation for Maven Ant Tasks

Hi

I'm in the process of converting the Ant builds, at my day job, to use
Maven Ant tasks for dependency management. This is my first contact with

Maven Ant tasks so I gave the doc a thorough reading and made some
corrections and alterations. The doc is currently only one page [1] and
is part of the maven site.

The page is very long and tries to cover everything there is to know
about the Ant tasks. Unfortunately it doesn't cover everything, as I've
seen going through the user list trying to find answers. So I'd like to
make some changes to the documentation.

1. Move the docs from maven site to the Ant tasks, in subversion.

2. Split up the current one page into several more focused pages.

3. Create a reference section, similar in function to the documentation
for Ant, to make it easier for Ant (=non-Maven) users to find their way.

Thoughts, ideas, criticism?

For 3 I thought I'd have a look at how Ant currently generates its own
documentation. One possibility would be to use annotations and create a
Maven plugin to extract those along with Javadoc to create general
documentation for Ant tasks (not just the Maven Ant tasks). This would
work similarly to how the plugin-plugin works on Maven plugins.

Is this a feasible approach or just a waste of time?

[1] http://maven.apache.org/ant-tasks.html

--
Dennis Lundberg