+1

Rahul

Jason van Zyl wrote:
Hi,

Oleg has been contributing patches to the artifact mechanism for well over 6 months and has gone through some steps to look at graph-based resolution, and subsequently moved on to the boolean solver method of performing version selection in artifact resolution. This is the method that p2 is using in Eclipse, and Daniel Le Berre (the author of the SAT4J library we are using) has been kind enough to introduce us to some of the Linux distro folks who are using the same methods to resolve ranges in their package managers which is not an easy problem.

Oleg has been studying the math and working with Daniel and I believe has provided us with a path to world-class artifact resolution. We need to get rid of what we have because there is simply no way to do ranges correctly without some form of solver, it's just impossible and this is generally accepted by the community of people dealing with dependency and packaging problems.

I've been applying Oleg's patches for a long time, and I would like to give him commit access to continue his work which I believe is part of the future for Maven's artifact resolution mechanism.

+1

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder, Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.

-- Shakespeare