On 04/07/2008, at 3:40 AM, John Casey wrote:

Not to distract from the higher-level discussion, but I'd like to get into the nuts and bolts of MARTIFACT-25 a bit...in case someone beats me to it.

We introduced a properties file that tracks resolution attempts for artifacts that weren't found on the remote repository, and I'd like to see if we can reuse that file/concept/code to handle artifacts that don't have accompanying POMs on the remote repo. It's a similar concept, so the two should dovetail relatively well, and require little code to accomplish the fix.

This makes sense to me. So continue to expand on the update check manager to handle this case?

The other alternative - which at one point we were doing - is to write out the stub POM into the local repository and retain that. It would simplify the code, but muddies the local repo content.

I believe these have the same net effect, in that the artifact is never resolved a second time. Is that correct?

The way I see it, the biggest hurdle for this issue is creating a [set of] good tests to circumscribe the issue and make sure it doesn't regress later.

I don't think there's too many variations - the problem is only with missing POM files, right?

Cheers,
Brett

My $0.02.

-john

Brett Porter wrote:
Hi all,

As I indicated a couple of weeks back, moving towards a 2.1 alpha release, I was looking at releasing an alpha of maven-artifact. Brian was able to locate the issue he was referring to a couple of weeks back about re-resolving (now MARTIFACT-25), so I've postponed.

Once that's fixed, I think there should be no reason not to proceed with a release based on the thread we had back then.

Are there any other issues that anyone sees as blocking moving forward with a release?

I've done all the testing I was planning to already. Oleg, did you want to take this release, or shall I go ahead after that issue is sorted?

Cheers,
Brett

John Casey
Developer, PMC Member - Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)