On 7-Jul-08, at 10:37 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

On 08/07/2008, at 11:59 AM, Brian Fox wrote:

You mean bootstrap first, then use that build to run release:prepare...?

I would expect release:prepare to be run normally, but the bootstrap to be used in release:perform if this is the case.

Yes, with the previously built bootstrapped version.

I'm working release planning, and I want to define how we actually build Maven for a release.

For me it essentially boils down to:

Use the last bootstrap version of the build to produce the version of Maven for the given release.

I'm fine with that (I'm also fine with "use the last release and only the last release of Maven to produce the release").

I think this lets us remain internally self-consistent, and avoids the previous release problem.

What was the previous release problem?

I just want know that it's coming off the same machine with the same pattern so that we have some control. There's been platform specific things in the past. I don't know if there has ever been any problems because one release was made with a particular version of maven. But we will know from now on.

If we use the last stable version of Maven we get into the problem of requiring all those versions if you really wanted to start from scratch. I think this makes it self-contained and will keep the Linux distro people happy because they can build everything from source.

I'm not sure about that, since the bootstrap still downloads a number of binary dependencies, but they're easily substitutable and it's a start.

With the version map in properties the way I've now setup they could if they wanted to. And John actually has code we used for some C stuff to build the dependency from source first. Actually we should probably share that with the Linux heads.

If no one has any objections I'm going to build this into the release plan for 2.1 and codify it in Hudson.

I'll respond to John's mail directly, but I think there's some issues with this.

Not sure what you mean, with building consistently with a bootstrapped version?

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter