On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Aaron Digulla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Quoting Ralph Goers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>  It is currently working as designed. Maven won't resolve properties for
>> any of the items in the parent section. The pom below would be a
>> problem if it was actually installed into a repository as it would
>> require that the property be specified even if the artifact was a
>> transitive dependency.
>>

> I don't follow you here. In the parent pom.xml, I use normal version
> numbers. All I want is that the current pom.xml allows a property as the
> version of the parent POM. Even if the current POM gets installed in a
> repository, it's no problem because (just like when it's local), the
> property must be set when it's loaded/resolved/whatever.
>
> I mean, the repository server isn't going to try to use that string for
> anything, is it? Maven will download the file, parse it and complain if the
> property isn't set.
>
>  I am working on a modification that allows the version to be obtained
>> by reading the pom located at the relativePath and getting the version
>> from it, but I still have a couple of issues to resolve. It wouldn't
>> solve your case though, as even there it won't actually accept a system
>> property for the version.
>>

> Does that mean that I could omit the version tag and just use relativePath?
> That would work for me. Is that patch for 2.0 or 2.1?
>
> What is the most simple way to include common dependencies, plugin configs
> and properties in many POMs?
>
> I'm using <parent> but as it is, I have to update the version numbers in
> about 100 files when I change the different parent POMs (and no, the parent
> pom is not "../pom.xml"; it's somewhere else in the tree and I have three
> different "parent" POMs).
>
> I'm aware that there are plans to allow "includes" in Maven 2.1 but I'd
> like a solution for 2.0.

please vote for http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MOJO-1178

This has a goal called update-parent that will update the parent version in
the pom to the latest available.

You can then use a compositional pom to invoke the goal on all the trees of
projects and they will all have their parent version updated... and you can
then just promote all these changes to SCM in one go