On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 9:40 PM, Dennis Lundberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Stephen
>
> Great work on this plugin! This is a plugin that I plan to use extensively.
>
> I've read through the docs, which there are plenty of. Always a good
> sign :-) There were however a couple of typos and broken links in there,
> which I took the liberty of fixing in SVN. I also updated to mojo-parent 18.

Thanks, I forgot I had to switch back to mojo-parent 18

> After playing around with the plugin a bit I found the results somewhat
> confusing, so I started to read the goal parameter docs. There I found
> the source of my confusion: the allowSnapshots parameter has true as
> default value. In my opinion this should be set to false as default.
> Using snapshots is something that should be avoided, if possible.
> Showing snapshot versions by default therefor works against best
> practices and might lure users to the dark side.

I'm 50:50 on this.

I use it to switch all the suit of projects onto SNAPSHOT versions
while I'm working on them.  When doing a release the release will be
the newest version in the repo so puching back to SCM is fine in that
case.

However I can see the other side.

> I'd like to move the includeProperties, excludeProperties and linkItems
> parameters from the Abstract Mojo to UpdatePropertiesMojo, because they
> are only used there. Also the parentVersion parameter should be moved to
> UpdateParentMojo. Having them in the Abstract Mojo makes them show up as
> parameters in the auto generated docs for every Mojo, see [1].

Fire ahead, when I moved them there I did not have the display goals.

> The comparisonMethod parameter is currently only used in
> DisplayDependencyUpdatesMojo. Shouldn't it be used in
> DisplayPluginUpdatesMojo as well?

OK, here is my logic:

Maven plugins _should_ be versioned using the Maven version rules,
i.e. Major.Minor.Update-Build

Dependencies will be versioned using company rules (in our case 5 digits)

So you don't need the comparison method for plugins.

What do you think?

> If not, it can be moved from the Abstract Mojo to
> DisplayDependencyUpdatesMojo.

Go ahead

> Finally the auto generated docs would benefit from using "default-value"
> in the @parameter annotations. This automatically inserts the default
> values into the docs.

If you don't mind doing that please

> If you want me to, I can have a go at making these changes.

Please do