more likely should be something that gets carried over with the
request. That however goes against the component architecture a bit as
it requires the context (request) to be carried along through all the
components. AFAIK workspace attempted to do just that, but I never
took a closer look.

weak references are rather unpredictable and will not help for
concurrent processing in multiple threads.

Milos