Raphaël Piéroni wrote:

Second, I would like to have a programmatic way to call a maven goal
on another project from inside a goal run from a project. [...]
Can anyone tell me where the release plugin works in calling the spawn
maven build on the checkouted project.

There is a shared component called maven-invoker [0] that should handle this task. It's the basis for the InvokerMavenExecutor in the maven-release-manager, the SimpleInvoker in the Maven Reactor Plugin and of course the InvokerMojo of the Maven Invoker Plugin.

Benjamin

[0] http://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-invoker/