We had lots of problems with javadoc 2.3 that introduced forking behavior.
This was reverted in 2.4 and apparently put back in 2.5:
 http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/plugins/tags/maven-javadoc-plugin-2.5/sr
c/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugin/javadoc/JavadocReport.java?r1=661429&r2=
661899

This causes problems in some projects that are now forking for example
during a release. Can we find a better way to fix this without making it
fork?

(btw this is exactly one of the issues we need to fix in maven 3, a plugin
needs to declare that at least a given phase should be run and thus if bound
to a phase it won¹t fork, but if run from the cli directly, it will)

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRELEASE-271
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MJAVADOC-104