Reinhard Nägele wrote:

Why is such version transformation done at all? What's the reasoning behind it?

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3057

Usually, you would expect that your pom remains unchanged.

I believe we should probably at least leave those POMs untouched that don't originate from the current build. Technically, this version transformations checks

  if ( artifact instanceof ArtifactWithProject )

and otherwise outputs a warning (on debug level) but interpolates the file nevertheless. In real-life, this affects install:install-file and deploy:deploy-file. If users provide a hand-written POM or a POM from another repo, the POM is altered. Also, the process leaves target/pom-transformed.xml files around.

Benjamin