> Mark, it looks like the git provider is
> already setup to
> easily integrate an alternate implementation

Yes, when I wrote the maven-scm-providers-git I basically copied over the svn
provider, exactly because it had the structure to support multiple
implementations (thats btw the reason why most classes still show Emanuell as
author, simply forgot to change it ;)
So it should be no problem to add an additional implementation. I also talked
with Shawn about this more than a year ago. He changed the license from LGPL to
BSD back then but I didn't have enough time (and the need) to start to
implement the jgit part.
But it should be really easy to add it.

If you like me to help then simply ping me, I'd be honoured to help.

LieGrue,
strub