On May 12, 2009, at 2:43 PM, Brian Fox wrote:

As I already said, I talked about release-plugin and my view of the world
and it seems NOT to fit together. My POM-tree follows strict logical
aspects that is motivated by the architecture of the project and NOT by
the philosophy of some plugin.

I'm trying to understand your structure and motivations behind it, so if you would care to elaborate, we can be sure to consider these aspects down the
road.

Well, you've seen mine. Imagine Apache commons where you wanted to run a build from the root of commons. Not everything changes with each release so it is silly to deploy new jar versions that haven't changed. So you create a "bill of materials" (bom) pom that has the versions of all the subprojects and anything wanting to use a commons project can just import that and then specify dependencies on the various commons subprojects without specifying a version. But to build this all the subprojects need to have the bom pom as their parent or grandparent. Thus, any time you change the bom pom version every subproject has to change even if nothing changed in it. PITA.

Granted, my "library" isn't as big as commons, put it still currently contains 22 pom.xml files that have to be modified each time the bom pom changes.

Ralph