Ralph Goers schrieb:
> On May 12, 2009, at 2:43 PM, Brian Fox wrote:
>

>>> As I already said, I talked about release-plugin and my view of the
>>> world
>>> and it seems NOT to fit together. My POM-tree follows strict logical
>>> aspects that is motivated by the architecture of the project and
>>> NOT by
>>> the philosophy of some plugin.
>>>
>> I'm trying to understand your structure and motivations behind it,
>> so if you
>> would care to elaborate, we can be sure to consider these aspects
>> down the
>> road.
>
> Well, you've seen mine. Imagine Apache commons where you wanted to run
> a build from the root of commons. Not everything changes with each
> release so it is silly to deploy new jar versions that haven't
> changed.

Why not just remove the modules which haven't changed from the parent ?
The updated parent can still be imported afterwards just as you describe
 and the release plugin could be updated to do this automatically as
well. Instead of failing whenever a non-snapshot version is encountered,
it could just remove that non-snapshot module element from the
corresponding parent and not touch that artifact's version anywhere
during release preparation. That's changing aggregation rules with every
release somehow, I admit.

--
Christian