On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 4:52 AM, Benjamin Bentmann
<benjamin.bentm...@udo.edu> wrote:
> following a comment by Wendy on JIRA, I wanted to re-check what our plans
> are for repositories in dependency POMs. In more detail, how is dependency
> resolution in Maven 3.x expected to work

Thanks for bringing this up, Benjamin.  I knew it sounded familiar,
but June 2007 was a long time ago!

I don't think that my dependencies should be able to contribute
repositories to my build.  When Maven starts downloading things from
seemingly random places, it gives a bad first impression, especially
to security conscious corporate users.

So yes, if I'm building A, and B's dependencies are not available in
Central (or my internal repo) I expect to have to take some action,
either adding it to my settings or to my repo manager's proxy config
(or manually deploying each of the dependencies to my internal repo
after they are vetted.)

I like Brett's idea about using the pom repo information in the error message.

--
Wendy