I think the cause of bad checksum is from using wagon's httpclient
alternative  see
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-wagon-providers.html

I attempted to use it to deploy large artifact as a work around for
OOM issue and saw this problem, but could not confirm if my setup is
the problem.

However, today i tried it again and able to reproduce the issue.

-D