On Apr 26, 2010, at 6:08 PM, Paul Gier wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> The current behaviour in Maven is that the central repository is built into
> the
> code, and it's there unless you hack your settings.xml to disable it.  This
> can
> be a bit confusing when trying to configure your settings for a repository
> manager.  And it's not immediately clear what order is used when new
> repositories are added to the settings.
>
> Would there be any problems if the central repo definition was moved out of
> the
> Maven internals and into the default settings.xml [1]?  It seems like that
> would
> keep the central repo available for a fresh Maven install, but also make it
> easier to control the settings for the central repo.  But maybe there is some
> problem that I'm missing.
>
> [1]http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-4645

Taking Maven Central out of the Super POM right now would not change the boiler
plate configuration you need to divert everything to a repository manager.

So I'm not in favor of removing it as a default. But Brian is sitting here next
to me so I think he has a proposal that would work.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in.
No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow.
They know it is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically
dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of
dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or
goals are in doubt.

  -- Robert Pirzig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance