I assume you want to make it easier for people to get the correct
settings? Moving it from the super pom could have unexpected side
effects, but what if we put the default "boiler plate"[1]
configuration for that into the default settings.xml commented out? I
think this would solve the main visibility problem without affecting
runtime.

[1]
http://www.sonatype.com/books/nexus-book/reference/maven-sect-single-group.html#ex-maven-nexus-simple