Are the two others ears built with Maven as well? If so, I would try to
share the dependencies between 1&2 and 3 somehow and rebuild the whole EAR
instead of merging it.

You could use something like the dependency plugin to unpack the dependency
and excluding some files but there's nothing that will generate the
application.xml for you. Looking at it from a distance, adding exclude on
*files* is worse than trying to get a common dependency tree between your
three projects.

HTH,
S.