I prefer to comment in Confluence where it can be captured:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Proposal+--+A+creation+and+retirement+plan+for+plugins

I added a bit about creation as well.

On Nov 1, 2010, at 10:57 PM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> On 2010-11-01 22:38, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>> Can you put this in Confluence.
>
> Sure, I'll just wait for some feedback first, then I'll summarize it in
> Confluence. Once the wrinkles are ironed out I'll move it to the site.
>
>> I think we should include the addition of plugins as well ... as that's how
>> we got here in the first place. New plugins, if we ever add anymore, should
>> require the same rigor going in.
>
> Do you mean that we should describe how high the bar is for new plugins
> to enter?
>

>> On Nov 1, 2010, at 10:35 PM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Given the discussions about retiring plugin I feel strongly that we need
>>> to have a plan for doing so. There are bound to be differing opinions
>>> about this, so see this as a starting point for discussions. When we get
>>> to the point that we agree on the general process, I'll turn this
>>> discussion into a document and put into our site.
>>>

>>> 1. Propose a vote on the dev-list to retire a plugin. The vote should be
>>> open for the standard 72 hours to allow people to voice their opinions.
>>> Perhaps also send this to the users-list?
>>>

>>> 2. Decide how to retire the plugin (don't know whether this should be a
>>> vote or not, or perhaps incorporated into 1.). There are multiple
>>> scenarios available. Two have been suggested in the other threads:
>>>
>>> 2.1 Move to retired area in svn
>>>
>>> 2.2 Move to mojo.codehaus.org
>>>
>>> please add more possible actions here
>>>

>>> 3. Make one final release of the plugin before it goes away. This allows
>>> us to make a clean break. The final release should have the site changed
>>> so that SCM URLs are changed or removed to reflect the decision made
>>> under 2. If the plugin is moved elsewhere a prominent notice should be
>>> placed on the front page of the plugin's site.
>>>
>>> To respond to the inevitable "why bother" responses I hereby volunteer
>>> to do all those releases, if no one else steps up.
>>>

>>> 4. Announce the fact that the plugin has been retired/moved/whatever on
>>> the annou...@m.a.o and us...@m.a.o mailing lists. Explain to people what
>>> they should do if they would like to help with the continued development
>>> of the plugin at some other place.
>>>

>>> Opinions, comments are welcome
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dennis Lundberg

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>>
>> In short, man creates for himself a new religion of a rational
>> and technical order to justify his work and to be justified in it.
>>
>>  -- Jacques Ellul, The Technological Society
>>

> --
> Dennis Lundberg

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Our achievements speak for themselves. What we have to keep track
of are our failures, discouragements and doubts. We tend to forget
the past difficulties, the many false starts, and the painful
groping. We see our past achievements as the end result of a
clean forward thrust, and our present difficulties as
signs of decline and decay.

 -- Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the Human Condition