You should file an issue ticket to make sure that this is handled properly.
Include the steps on how to reproduce, like you did in your mail. Also,
including a test project will make is easier for anyone to have a look and
therefore increasing the likelihood of getting this fixed.

I'm assuming you're using the maven-assembly-plugin to create the distro
zip? In that case, here's info on how to report issues on that project:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/issue-tracking.html

/Anders