Actually, SLF4J's tie to Ceki's I18n project is one thing I really dislike.
IMO, localization should be done at the last possible moment. If you really
want an internationalized log then you should be logging message ids and data
and then doing the localization in your log viewer, not as you are writing the
records.

Ralph