Maven PMC,

Benjamin and I would like to make a distribution available that addresses
several issues with the Apache Maven 3.0.3 release. We have pushed back all
bugfixes that do not involve Eclipse Aether[a] and Eclipse Sisu[b] as their
incorporation into the mainline and an official release is your decision.

We haven't pushed any individual artifacts to Maven Central as part of creating
the distribution, we have only created the distribution itself. If there is
anything you want changed let us know and we'll change it, but we wanted to
make these fixes available in a build for users who are having problems. We're
not trying to represent it as anything other then a distribution that
incorporates fixes users need.

The build is available here:

http://people.apache.org/~jvanzyl

------------------------------------
Summary of the issues
------------------------------------

Fixes pushed back to the ASF:

[MNG-5064][1] mvn -nsu (--no-snapshot-updates) should not download snapshots
(and break local builds)
[MNG-5131][2] Wrong encoding for encrypted passwords
[MNG-5113][3] NullPointerException on javadoc site generation
[MNG-5137][4] Reactor resolution does not work for forked multi module builds
work in maven 3
[MNG-5135][6] Regression: in some cases aggregator mojo is unable to resolve
dependencies with custom packaging

Fixes not pushed back to the ASF as these are dependent on fixes in Eclipse
Aether and Eclipse Sisu:

[MNG-5042][7] Regression: CloningClassLoader causes StackOverflowError in groovy
[MNG-5056][8] Test dependencies get packaged into WAR file.
[MNG-5084][9] Resolver for plugins failing
[MNG-5087][10] Maven 3 dependency resolution fails until
maven-metadata-local.xml files (created by maven-invoker-plugin) are deleted
[MNG-5125] [11]Regression: mvn 3.0.3 is extreemly slow with a large number of
dependencies
[MNG-5138][12] Dependency conflicts are extremely opaque

[1]: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5064
[2]: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5131
[3]: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5113
[4]: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5137
[5]: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5096
[6]: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5135

[7]: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5042
[8]: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5056
[9]: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5084
[10]: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5087
[11]: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5125
[12]: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5138

[a]: http://eclipse.org/proposals/technology.aether/
[b]: http://eclipse.org/proposals/technology.sisu/

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Eclipse Board Member
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

If I find ten thousand ways something won't work, I haven't failed. I am not
discouraged,
because every wrong attempt discarded is just one more step forward.

-- Thomas Edison