On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 10:05 PM, Ansgar Konermann
<ansgar.konerm...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am 27.07.2011 08:16, schrieb Kasun Gajasinghe:
>> We don't allow downloading of different versions of same plugin which
>> in most cases does the 'same' job! So, we need the ability to set a
>> default plugin versions that are available on the gentoo system.
> Hi Kasun,
>
> what about this: configure a local <pluginRepository> in Maven's global
> settings.xml [1] file. Pre-load it with all the plugins and plugin
> dependencies your maven installation will be allowed to use.

Ansgar,
well, this is possible, I'm working on some subtle gentoo-specific
things I need to do first to test this out. Anyway, I already know
this, and have specified about this in my original post. I'm looking
for this and something beyond that. That is, set <checkLatest> true
and retrieve plugins version from there.
[2] says,
checkLatest - Specifies whether the LATEST artifact metadata should be
consulted while determining versions for unregistered plugins.

I'm looking for that. I figured that it needs to set via
maven-metadata.xml files. I'm not exactly sure that maven-metadata.xml
is the file to be used for this purpose though.

[2]
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-plugin-registry.html