You could just try with checkstyle 5.3.

there is the ability to override the dependencies of a plugin

<project>
<build>
<plugins>
<plugin>
<artifactId>maven-checkstyle-plugin</artifactId>
<dependencies>
  ... insert the newer version of checkstyle (not the plugin) here
</dependencies>
</plugin>
</plugins>
</build>
</project>

If the only change is a version bumb, then you can achieve that by
overriding with a bumped version in your pom...

No new release needed unless the newer version has changed its API

-Stephen