>From time to time, there is an impedance mismatch between the desires
of an open source development community and the nature of Maven as a
*binary* dependency management system. While I wouldn't, for a moment,
suggest tampering with the existing binary system, I was wondering how
hard it would be to build a plugin, perhaps inspired by the scm
plugin, that could download and build source.

One hopes to discover that the -sources artifact for a gav is, in
fact, comprehensive and buildable. Could the results of such a build
enter the reactor without core changes, or would there need to be a
two-phase approach? This, of course, assumes that the sources are (a)
buildable and (b) buildable with maven. (Give or take antrun or other
scripting.) A further interesting wrinkle would be to add patch
application to the mix -- possibly a problem bounded by the need for a
Java implementation of 'patch'.