jenkins does it (1 plugin = 1 repo ) and I sincerely see no solution
to avoid that.
Each plugin or each lib has its own lifecycle and requires to have its
own git repo to be clean
That's why on jenkins we have the IRC bot to manage them
But it is easier on github because they provide many APIs to do such
remote management.
On ASF side I don't think we'll have soon such tooling :(
On the other hand the only annoying thing to do its the conversion
itself and then to update projects (SCM ...). After that we could ask
to sync them on github and we can easily provide some script to clone
all repos from a given organisation. Unlike Jenkins we don't have a
flow of repos creation really important on ASF side.

My 2 cents.

Arnaud

-----
Arnaud Héritier