On 9/28/12 12:08 PM, Mark Struberg wrote:
+1

Imo this comes hand in hand with moving maven-core to 1.6 as well and a version
bump to mvn-3.2.0 or even mvn-3.5.0

We might create a documentation page about "Strategies for targeting older Java
versions" which outlines the animal-sniffer, etc

LieGrue,
strub

I think the plugin could be a sort of advance guard for the core itself, since people can still use the core + the older version of the compiler plugin to run on 1.5...

I wouldn't want to get mired in a discussion about when we're going to move the core up to 1.6, since that's a bit more work.

----- Original Message -----
From: John Casey <jdca...@commonjava.org>
To: Maven Developers List <dev@maven.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2012 6:53 PM
Subject: PLXCOMP-1 and improving compiler-message parsing

Hi everyone,

There's a new patch to the plexus-compiler libraries which improves the
parsing of the output messages, especially for annotation processing.
Previously, a lot of non-error messages caused plexus-compiler (and thereby,
Maven) to think a compilation error had occurred. The patch fixes this by using
the javax.tools APIs to work with in-process compilation.

The patch is here:

https://github.com/sonatype/plexus-compiler/pull/6

The issue is here (it's been out there for a LONG time, as you can see:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/PLXCOMP-1

The javax.tools APIs are JDK 1.6+ IIRC, so merging this patch would effectively
drag the future of the maven-compiler-plugin up to requiring JDK 1.6.
Personally, since JDK 1.5 has been out almost as long as I've been coding
(well, not too far), I don't see the problem. Remember, we're not asking
people to upgrade their production VM, only the build-time version...and we have
documented strategies for targeting older VM versions successfully.

We might look at strategies for degrading gracefully in case someone is using
JDK 1.5, but IMO we need to be very careful about this. For instance, I
wouldn't want people to wind up with unexplained, random new errors because
they accidentally set their $PATH wrong. But maybe we could give them a large
warning then switch over to forked-mode compilation in this case?

I'd really hate to see this patch go unmerged because we're stuck
supporting JDK 1.5...or if we do reject it on these grounds, maybe we need to
talk about when it's reasonable to jump ship on 1.5 if not now?

I'd LIKE to merge this patch, release plexus-compiler, and document how to
use it as a plugin-level dependency...then make the move to 1.6 for the compiler
plugin.

Thoughts?

-john

-- John Casey