I'm using a fairly recent feature of Surefire where you can specify
multiple providers (
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-surefire-plugin/examples/providers.html
)

I'm using both TestNG and Junit. Here is the secion of the pom in question:

  <plugin>
    <version>2.12.4</version>
    <dependencies>
      <dependency>
        <groupId>org.apache.maven.surefire</groupId>
        <artifactId>surefire-testng</artifactId>
        <version>2.12.4</version>
      </dependency>
      <dependency>
        <groupId>org.apache.maven.surefire</groupId>
        <artifactId>surefire-junit4</artifactId>
        <version>2.12.4</version>
      </dependency>
    </dependencies>
  </plugin>

When I go to run release:prepare where I have a JUnit test either error or
fail, it will continue like everything is fine, and allow the release with
test failures or errors!

Here is the output from running release:prepare

http://pastebin.com/Z94egP3E

When I then have a TestNG failure, I get what I expect (a failure):

http://pastebin.com/yJufszdN

I'm not sure if this is a bug with the Release plugin, Surefire, or can be
helped with any extra configuration of either the Release plugin or
Surefire...

Thanks!

-- Larry