Currently, maven-archetype-plugin ignores the configured Maven
infrastructure when fetching the archetype-catalog. That is, it is
hard-coded to get the catalog from central. This causes problems in
environments where Internet access is restricted and a MRM is used. Also,
in cases where Internet is accessible I think the current behavior where
configured repositories/mirrors are ignored is strange. I would expect my
Maven configuration to be honored and the catalog to downloaded from my
configured remote repos (incl. mirrors).

Do anyone object if I do some drastic changes to this logic in the plugin?
I'm thinking that the plugin should follow the Maven configuration and not
have anything hard-coded in itself wrt where to get the archetype
catalog(s) from.
Related tickets are ARCHETYPE-427 and ARCHETYPE-358 primarily, but it
touches on other ones as well.

/Anders