On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Arnaud Héritier <aherit...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> But having said all that, if we can find a good way to flag versions as not
>> released (e.g. a release history page or something) I am not against
>> skipping version numbers. Might confuse people though if that meant that
>> the first release of Maven 3.1.0 was 3.1.4 (i.e. if we had not been doing
>> alpha's)
>>

> It is what Tomcat is doing ?
> They release regularly and depending of feedback they announce it or not
> AFAIR
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/changelog.html
> In the changelog (ex 7.0.38) you have a "not released" instead of the date
> when they dropped it

Well I would like this better. Why not let the non-released tags in
git or rename the tag to
maven-3.1.0-alpha-1-not-for-public-consumption and just state in the
release description of JIRA
(https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Aversions-panel)
that alpha-1 was never released to the public but only staged for
testing.