Hello,

first of all, thanks for your replies. I think it would help very much
if an introductory would be at the plugin development page[1] to get
the big picture. Or even be repeated at the the run[2] page.

Running Maven is trivial until you encounter problems or wish to
extend stuff. I deal a lot with supporting our department (roughly 200
developers, 150 of whom are using Maven) and I am always reiterating
explaining the basic glossary (phase, lifecycle, goal).

While the "Complete reference" by Sonatype is great once you know the
basics, it is quite extensive and not every application developer
wants or needs to delve throught it :-)

Regards
Mirko

[1] http://maven.apache.org/guides/plugin/guide-java-plugin-development.html