Clarification to 2): Sonatype uses the x.y.z-b version scheme (dash, not
underscore) which works with Maven's suggsted version syntax. This is also
the syntax I use for all customers I work with and that use staging.
The 'b' is the release build, which starts on '1' and is incremented for
each new release.

Earlier we used to do RC builds (or at least Benjamin did so) which I found
very good to test new core versions early. The drawback was that we had to
respin to get rid of the 'RC' in the version.

In any case, we've discussed this earlier and even voted on it I believe.
Regardless of what one individual thinks is "the right way", I don't think
it's cool to just ignore what has already been decided on.
Personally I don't even see the problem re-using version numbers for Maven
core releases. For plugin releases there is a much more likely to be some
confusion though.

/Anders