On Feb 13, 2014, at 11:18 AM, Stephen Connolly
<stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I suggest you convince at least one of these people:
> https://people.apache.org/committers-by-project.html#maven that they should
> act as release manager.
>
> EOL just means we will not be making new releases, and it will be moved to
> the archive section of the downloads.

Well, one more thing:  if it’s officially EOL, there is a much higher chance
that plugins would be marked as using 3.x as a minimum and will no longer work
with 2.1.1.   API’s and such that the plugins use will likely get updated to
3.x level.  Etc….

Anyway, I’m +1 to dropping 2.x support.

Dan

> You will still be able to download it. You will still be able to get the
> source code. We just will be recognising the fact that there is nobody who
> wants to cut a release from the 2.x codebase.
>
> Hopefully focusing on the 3.x codebase will allow us to iron out the bugs
> you feel are present in 3.x and thus preventing you from migrating... but
> if there are any committers who want to cut 2.x releases, I - as a PMC
> member - will certainly stand up and do what is required in terms of
> testing the source bundle and checking the IP etc... I don't see any
> committers standing up.
>
> If the vote is for EOL and after this vote there is a committer who wants
> to act as release manager for 2.x, we will not stop them from releasing
> either... we will just stop putting 2.x on the active downloads page
>

> On 13 February 2014 15:52, Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@swisspost.com>wrote:
>
>> Stephen Connolly wrote:
>>
>>> We have not made a release of Maven 2.x since 2.2.1 which was August
>> 2009.
>>>
>>> During that period no release manager has stepped up to cut a release.
>>>
>>> I would argue that we should just therefore just declare Maven 2.x as end
>>> of life.
>>
>> -1
>>
>> This vote is real-life comedy as long as there is no newer version that
>> succeeds with its core competence to build multi-projects in correct order
>> and therefore will not produce artifacts with bogus SNAPSHOTs.
>>
>> Embarassed,
>> Jörg
>>

>>> This vote is therefore to resolve this issue.
>>>
>>> The vote will be decided on the basis of committer votes cast. If the
>>> majority of votes from committers (which includes PMC members) are in
>>> favour then we will declare 2.x end of life.
>>>
>>> If you are a committer and voting -1, then we will assume that you are
>>> willing to step up and act as a release manager to get a 2.2.2 release
>> out
>>> (which would hopefully include being able to not barf on
>>> maven-metadata.xml that uses the <snapshotVersions> schema generated by
>>> Maven 3.x but the release manager gets to decide what it is they want to
>>> release)
>>>
>>> The decision on this is actually quite simple as if there is nobody
>>> committer to act as a release manager for the 2.x line, then it is end of
>>> life.
>>>
>>> +1: Maven 2.x is end of life, I am not willing to act as release manager
>>> for this line of releases
>>> 0: I have no opinion
>>> -1: Maven 2.x is not end of life, I am willing to act as release manager
>>> for this line of releases
>>>
>>> The vote will be open for 72h and may be closed earlier in the unlikely
>>> event that all Maven committers have cast a vote before the 72h are up.
>>>
>>> -Stephen

Daniel Kulp
dk...@apache.org - http://dankulp.com/blog