I am also a fan of git submodules in the long term, but avoiding them
in the short term.  We should get things organized as we want them
first, and then start thinking about pulling libprocess/stout out into
submodules later (while also preserving their history!)

I disagree with moving libprocess and stout up to the same level as
src/. If we want to make sure they don't bleed into Mesos proper, we
really should treat them the same as any other 3rdparty code that we
depend on.  This will become more relevant when/if we move them into
submodules.

Given all that, the only real challenge with flattening our 3rdparty
dependencies into a single folder should be the changes we have to
make to our configure.ac and Makefile.am scripts to know where to look
for their dependencies now.  In the end these should be URLs to
versioned tarballs that we host somewhere (or git repos that we can
have forked and tagged with specific versions).  In the short term
these can just be relative paths in the mesos tree though.

--
~Kevin