We typically used LOG(FATAL) when we were interested in the stack trace. If
not, we preferred to use EXIT(EXIT_FAILURE). While that was the original
intention, not sure if we have been following that distinction diligently.

Separately, we should fix EXIT to log at ERROR level instead of just
printing to to stderr.