Hi Kevin,

Thanks for engaging with the community on this. My 2 cents:

1. I feel that this capabilities has a particular useful semantic which is
lacking in the current reservation system: reserving some scarce resource
for a* dynamic list of multiple roles:*

Right now, any reservation (static or dynamic) can only express the
semantic of "reserving this resource for the given role R". However, in a
complex cluster, it is possible that we have [R1, R2, ..., RN] which wants
to share the scarce resource among them but there is another set of roles
which should never see the given resource.

The new hierarchical role (and/or multi-role?) might be able to provide a
better solution, but until that's widely available and adopted, the
capabilities based hack is the only thing I know that can solve the problem.

In fact, I think if we are going to wo with `--filter-gpu-resources` path,
I think we should make the filter more powerful (i.e, able to handle all
known framework <-> resource/host constraints and more types of scarce
resources) instead of the piecewise patches on a specific use case.

Happy to chat more on this topic.

--
Cheers,

Zhitao Li